Posted on | October 26, 2007 | Comments Off
SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. It is also known as the winter blues. It is often a serious condition that leads to depression and in some cases, suicide.
SAD is caused by lack of daylight and affects women more compared to men.To combat Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD light boxes are used. A SAD Light Box is a powerful light source that gives out light which is much brighter than a normal bulb. The level of light is comparable to that of daylight. Most SAD patients report an improvement on using a SAD light box and many recover totally.
SAD light boxes are often considered the best and cheapest treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder.SAD light boxes are often quite expensive, but you can make one at home if you wish. This is how â€“You will need – several long fluorescent tubes, a box (which is light in weight, about two feet long and 6 inches deep), electrical wire, electrical fittings, carpentry equipment if box is of wood, and a protective screen (transparent) for the front face.
1. For the light source, you have to use the long fluorescent tubes. The fluorescent tubes use only about a fourth of the electricity compared to standard incandescent light bulbs, and they last much longer.
2. You must ensure that the total light produced by these tubes is a minimum of 10,000 lux (of light intensity). Less intense light may not be that effective in treating SAD.
3. You have to fit an adequate number of lights in the box in such a manner that they produce 10,000 lux light intensity on your face at a distance of about 2 feet. It will not be comfortable if you have to keep your eyes at a closer distance.
4. Ensure that the box is well balanced. You wouldnâ€™t want it to fall when you are lying down and enjoying the light on your face.
5. Ensure that the SAD light box is well insulated and the wires do not expose users to any harm.With just these standard material, you can get your SAD light box ready and running in no time.
Itâ€™ll be as effective as a professionally made light box, as the only important thing is the intensity of the light. So get the stuff and make your own light box. Even making one of these yourself can be a cure for Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- SAD Light Review: The Brite Box
- SAD Light Review: The Diamond 4 Light Box
- Various options for SAD lights
- Seasonal affective disorder visors
- Seasonal affective disorder light boxes